Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Create anyway

This one will have to be quick, since we're getting up progressively earlier and earlier. I can't handle this 8 am in the morning start stuff. Lucky for those of you who have begun to tire of my long posts.

It's been raining a lot the past few days. Monday night we lost power for 4 hours and ate in the dark. Yesterday it started raining at 5 and didn't really stop until early this morning. I fell asleep listening to the rain on the tin roof of the guest house.

I'm frustrated by this rain. Maybe it's because I'm not at home, under a blanket, snuggled up with a book - which is the only way I like rain. Maybe it's because it forces us inside and unexpectedly halts our work. Maybe it's because this rain flooded the community center on Monday evening, and Jane Northern and I spent all of the morning yesterday throwing away the wet clothes - donated by the Mormons - that were stored on the floor. Maybe it's becuase this rain reminds me of the flood and the hurricane that got Dulac in this mess in the first place.

It's on my mind much this week that as we participate in this recovery work, we're only putting a band-aid on larger problems - ineffective levy systems, broken government systems, hunger, poverty, and the list goes on. I worry that once we leave here, the good work we're doing will be undone by those powerful forces, and then what will be the point? All the blood and sweat for what?

And as God often does with me - it's something we do, me and God - I was gently reminded in a poem Bill shared with us for devotion. The line that struck me reads: "What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway." Create anyway. Even though you're frustrated, I'm being told, do my work anyway. It's what I've called you here to do. Although a storm may come and tear down all you've done, these are your brothers and sisters. Do what is right by them, with them. Stand with them in solidarity. Build friendships with them as you laugh about boyfriends and children, parents, and heartache. Smile as you meet their grandchildren, giggle as you play with their new puppies. Make their homes liveable, their lives more joyous, even if only for a little while. These are the things that no hurricane can destroy. These are the things worth creating.

3 comments:

Jamie Michaels said...

"It's on my mind much this week that as we participate in this recovery work, we're only putting a band-aid on larger problems - ineffective levy systems, broken government systems, hunger, poverty, and the list goes on. I worry that once we leave here, the good work we're doing will be undone by those powerful forces, and then what will be the point? All the blood and sweat for what?"

You've hit on something really big here, Kate. That's why we have to partner our service work with the work of advocacy.
Blessings, dear :)

Anonymous said...

This reflection alone makes the trip worthwhile!
Dean

KKS said...

Katy,

This is so powerful. Thank you for sharing and for "creating anyway." You and the team are in our prayers!
Kerry